"The Great Theft"
An interesting read that I'd recommend is Khaled Abou El-Fadl's book "The Great Theft". It discusses the dichotomy found in contemporary Islamic thought and practice between the "Moderates and the Puritans". It basically outlines the development of the Wahabis and Salafis, and contrasts their religious worldview with that of moderate or "mainstream" Islam. The author is a leading "moderate" muslim scholar, and is widely read. I think it's a great read and raises some very basic but extremely important facts. I think the thing that stuck with me most about the book is how many have lost the basic, overall "moral objective" of our deen. Islam is synonymous with beauty, mercy, compassion. We must be sure to align our actions with these virtues. He argues that it is a duty for us to re-examine our primary sources and to establish their practicality in our modern age. While this might seem too reformist to some, after reading the book, you will have a more open mind about the discussion.
While not directly related to the book, I think an interesting side comment is the way that many in the world practice the deen today. For most it has become a cultural reality. It has to do more with not eating meat outside the house, not marrying a "white" person (even though the white may be muslim, and if they are then they're somehow just doing it for show), wearing a certain kind of dress that somehow "represents" Islam, and upholding certain tribal age related respect (irrespective of whether that respect is duly warranted). Gone is the love for love's sake. Gone is respect for respect's sake. Gone is seeking beauty, gone is showing mercy and compassion. We have to go back and truly ask ourselves what the purpose of our creation is and to re-align our actions accordingly.
A profound quote, the author of which I cannot recall once wrote (or said):
"True wisdom is acting in the right manner, in the right place, at the right time."
I hope this may spark a moment of reflection.
Take it easy...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home