CARTOONS
I guess a post concerning the caricatures that were depicted in European newspapers is warranted. But I won't harp on it, as most of what has needed to have been said has been said. For excellent commentary on this topic and the subsequent fallout, read Haroon Siddiqui, as he has written very intelligent articles in response to this nonsense.
Bottom line: Freedom of speech has inherent checks and balances. Once you begin to propagate hate, it is no longer a freedom you enjoy. One must not look any further than if someone were draw up a cartoon anything against Jews, equating them with terrorists for their part in the Mid-East conlict, no newspaper would touch it. Or if someone were to portray Catholics and their pope as a pedophile, it would be considered blasphemous and the artist told not to submit any more of his/her pieces.
The debate is not even a debate anymore. It's simply the propaganda of hate. It is simply gathering more steam to spread anti-Muslim sentiment. I for one am terribly angered by the stupidity of the "free press", but am more fearful as to what this may mean for muslims in the geopolitical scene. We must remember that what happens internationally, what draws the attention of the press is not without a much deeper hidden, and sometimes overt, agenda. Muslims have already been demonized. The "muslim enemy" has been identified by the "leaders of the Arab world". Not "muslims are running mad in the streets, proving once again their intolerance". What is all this leading to? What is the driving force behind all of this? I don't think it takes too much to at least pose a hypothesis. I'll let you do that one.
I applaud the direction that many muslim countries have taken. I don't agree with burning flags, or bombing buildings. That is useless. It just spreads more of what they want. But the best way is to approach things diplomatically. The best way is to enforce boycotts, decrease trade, withdrawing ambassadors, engaging in public discussions. Money is what speaks, not protests, not burning flags.
Remember, at the end of the day, Muslims have been promised eternal bliss. We just have to stay on the path. What good is in a people who make fun of Allah's favourite of creation? It's not us vs. them, it's Allah vs. them. I wonder who'll win?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home