Interesting Reads
I recently finished "Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. It's a good, easy read. It basically shows how we have an effect on people whether we realize it or not, and that in a metaphysical sense, everyone and everything is connected in this world. Apparently there was a made-for-tv movie that came out in 2004 based on the book. I wonder how that was.
I hate abandoning books halfway. I don't think I've ever completely given up on a book... I feel that every book deserves a fair chance, and even if it sucks, I'll read it until the end. However, I think I'm going to have to abandon Noami Klein's "No Logo." It's a very interesting book about the evils of corporations like Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Nike, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.... but the book seems more of a rant than anything. I'm going to pick up Noam Chomsky this week.
National Geographic is such a great magazine! I love receiving it every month. This month, they had an interesting article about the concept of "love", and how the hormones that makes one feel like they're "in love" are the same hormones that are found in patients with bipolar disorder. In other words, love = mental illness. Isn't that interesting? No wonder desi parents are so opposed to "love marriages." On that note, did anyone catch the CBC flick about the Sikh Canadian girl who was murdered by her own family for marrying a low-caste Indian guy? It was a pretty sad movie.
P.S. Tim Horton's increased the price of coffee by $0.05. I'm thinking of starting a class-action lawsuit... first they get us addicted to cheap coffee, and then they increase the price. Who's with me?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home