Sunday, December 04, 2005

Rock on!

So before we got married, both Hana and I liked our music. We still do. However, our tastes differed slightly. Hana has always been into mainstream pop music of all genres. I too enjoy my dose of pop music of various flavours, but I also love my gangsta rap/hard core hip hop. This posed a problem for us, as to what background music we would have on in our room. And to be honest, I felt guilty subjecting her to the cursing, swearing and glorification of all known vices in the world. And well, I have come to face the fact that I no longer, or better yet never did, convince anyone of my "thug life". Simply saying that I listen to 2Pac, or Biggie, or simply being able to hold a conversation of the history of east coast vs. west coast violence doesn't give one any street cred. I am not a gansgta, nor am I a part of any hood, other than the local neighbourhood watch.

So, what resulted was quite beneficial to the both of us. We both dabbled in the new age nasheeds that have been popularized by the likes of Sami Yusuf. Well we started playing that as our background music. Later, my boy Rifto (aka Aarif Pathan) introduced me to the sounds of Mesut Kurtis. We have never looked back. (In fact as I type this I'm listening to the Burdah).

My message in this post? Nasheeds ROCK! These guys know how to sing, they're catchy beats, and to top it off, instead of unconsciously repeating all kinds of nonsense that we find in today's pop songs, or gangsta rap, we're constantly singing praises on the Prophet or glorifying Allah. SO...pick up a nasheed CD, pop it in your home stereo, or car stereo, and enjoy. In no time you'll find yourself constantly doing some melodic dhikr.

If you haven't heard these two CD's yet, I highly recommend them:

1) Sami Yusuf's second CD
2) Mesut Kurtis (currently my favourite)

Aight, peace out...homies. (don't laugh...I pulled it off back in the day!!!)

- H-Unit

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean I can use your Game CD as a coaster now? :)

- H-Lo, aka Your Wife

2:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

haha.. good one Hana!

Hey, have you guys heard of Native Deen (formerly known as MYNA Raps)? They're sort of a mix of the hip hop/pop all rolled into a nasheed. "The Deen You Know" is really catchy yet profound... think you might like em.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

I've heard of Native Deen, but haven't heard any of their tracks. I'll chcek them out if I get a chance.

Hash

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home