Friday, November 25, 2005

Money, money, money....

For the past couple weeks, I've experienced something which is unnerving in one sense, but refreshing in another. The topic with which I have been grappling with is money. Now I do not doubt the importance of money. I know that in this society, and in fact much of the world, it is the currency with which we purchase our necessities, as well as the few luxuries we enjoy in life. But that's exactly what it is: something with which you attain another, or in other words "a means to an end". However, over the past year, as more and more of my peers have settled into jobs, including myself, it is disturbing to see how for many, money has now become THE END in and of itself. Many people are only concerned with how much money they will make, how much time it will take for them to make it, how to use certain tax shelters, how we can manipulate rulings so that the word "interest" falls out of the equation so that we can invest and make more and more and more and more....

Don't get me wrong, I too had fallen (and in many ways continue in my downward spiral) into this kind of rumination. Day and night I would scribble on paper how many hours a day I'd have to work and how many patients I'd have to see an hour to make a certain amount of money. It got to the point where it was almost pathologic. Now while I thought this was most unusual, I realized that there are people who think about money in almost a hallucinogenic state.
Something has changed though. I don't know how or why, but for the past week now, any lengthy discussion on money elicits a an extreme visceral reaction within me. I literally feel nauseous, so much to the point where I consciously try not to think about it. Alhumdulillah I have been feeling less stressed and alleviated as a result.

I have been thinking a lot lately about why it is that money has taken the position of "end" and has outgrown its traditional role as the "means". Why is it that some arbritrary amount of money which we may amass is equated with happiness? Why is it that we almost repulsively look down on people who shrug off and make light of the importance of money? This isn't about the "have's and the have nots", the "have's" being able to self righteously contemplate on the triviality of money without any practical knowledge as to its importance to the "have nots". If anything, the wealthy people with money desire to accumulate more and more of it than those who don't! Money IS important, as I said, for our sustenance and well being. But how much is the question? Or better yet, how badly should we strive to have more? Is it money that we actually want? Or is it happiness? Are they the same? Can one be the means of the other? Many say that "money makes the world go round". Others will say that "it is the root of all evil". I wouldn't go so far, but what I am fascinated about what makes it so tempting? Why does it have the power over us that it more assuredly does? Just wondering what people have to say about this. Why do you think people are so fascinated and are caught up in this endless pursuit of money? (The answer may be obvious, but it would be interesting to know what people verbalize).

6 Comments:

Blogger AKA said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 AM  
Blogger AKA said...

It is frustrating to see people invest so much time and effort chasing after what is essentially paper. I would think that the people who take this to the extreme are after luxury in their life rather than mere comfort. They spend their entire lives earning money, investing it, buying huge homes and luxury cars but they either are never at home to enjoy the lifestyle they've created, or they are so caught up in getting more that they don't realize what they have accomplished.

I guess that initially we're after financial security for our future. As time goes on and we're well into our career, our "wants" and "needs" go from being to very separate things, to almost one (Xbox 360 is a want guys, not a need!). This drives us to obsess over money and lose sight of what true happiness is (still not an Xbox).

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is easy to realize that money is merely an insignificant piece of paper that should not consume our lives. However, it is difficult to abandon our chase for financial success, as money is the mark of self-worth in this society. The true question is: How can we abstain from getting caught up in the neverending pursuit of money and continue to feel happy at the same time (especially in a society where money dictates our accomplishments)?

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ppl with money should just sponsor smart people to study. create scholarship funds. aga khan studies style.

12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tru dat

5:42 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

That's actually a very good suggestion. I wonder what it would take to establish an official fund? Are there any technicalities one would have to do to make it as official as the Aga Khan fund?

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home