Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Gift certificates

I don't really like the idea of gift certificates. Everyone has different tastes, and unless you are absolutely sure that the recipient of a gift certificate will enjoy shopping at a particular store, you should just give cash!

Hash and I accumulated a lot of gift certificates from our wedding. We've used up everything... except this stupid store where we'll never ever shop at! The funny thing is, 4 people gave us gift certificates to that same store... so we have about $300. (Since I plan to re-gift that, I can't share the name of the store!)

Anyway, bottom line, unless you give a gift certificate for a nice salon/spa, or stores that you know are popular (ie. Hbc, Ikea), please just give cash. It's not like the gift certificate cost you any less.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hana Hana Hana,

You're not so bright now are you! :)

You said you've up all the gift certificates you got for the wedding except the one that you want to re-gift. So even if you don't tell us what store its from, whoever you gift it to will know you're recyling it!
Let's just hope they dont read your blog.

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. how ungrateful.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

I wish I knew who anon #2 is.. they'd be getting the gift certificate!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, re-cycle gifts, that is sooo brown...Yes, i'm guilty of it too

8:34 PM  
Blogger AKA said...

I'm so curious to know that store now!

To Anonymous: Though Hana said she doesn't like the idea of a gift certificate, she also did mention that they can be a good idea when they're from a popular store. So it very well could be that the person who gets the re-gift likes the store or assumes its a popular one.

Seeing as how 4 different people managed to get Hana and Hash gift certificates from that same store, I'm sure it's not a tiny obscure one that no one has heard of. There's nothing wrong with re-gifting. Isn't it the thought that counts?

She's not being ungrateful, but making a realistic point. I'm sure at one point or another we've all received a gift that we didn't like, and though we graciously thank the gifter for the thought, we know inside it'll soon be a re-gift! Hana just spoke her mind, which many of us wouldn't even bother doing.

[Sorry Hana, I just wanted to write all that to back you up :)]

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home