A few questions...
Before I pose these questions, I must state that I am indeed going to attend the RIS conference this year IA. Personally I enjoy going to these events, but after attending several in the past, I do question certain aspects about them. Perhaps you can help shed some light on these issues.
1. What is the intention behind this event? If it is to disseminate Islamic knowledge to the masses, then do they honestly think that $40 a person is going to attract the masses? Will it not drastically skew the demographics of the conference attendees? Is it really a conference for the masses, or is it a nice retreat for the upper middle class?
2. Ok, perhaps the argument is, "we're sick of muslims having to do everything ghetto styles". Fine, do the conference up nice, charge $40, get the upper middle class in, let us feel good about ourselves. But what about the "retreat"? Why is it being held at a 4 start hotel (Westin Harbour Castle)? Last time I checked, classical knowledge was taught with a sheikh sitting perhaps on a slightly elevated ground, and the murids sitting on the ground in front of him. But then again I could be wrong.
3. Speaker fees of upwards to $9000? Having to pay for entourages? Having to pay for first class airfare? I don't know if this is true, but I did hear of a speaker who demanded all of this for a previous ISNA conference, which made it impossible to land him to attend. This is hearsay, but is this too farfetched to believe? Is it true? Can anyone else verify? And if it is, what the heck is going on?!
4. Where can I get an armband that all those cool volunteers wear? Don't get me wrong, I too used to be privileged enough to wear an armband, and a headset, but now that I'm out da game, I can't seem to be able to land a set.
5. Keeping with the volunteers, why does being a volunteer make it legit to socialize with the opposite gender? Oh that's right "MSA/conference talk". cough cough ** flirting ** cough cough
6. Why is it that you can hear all the single guys and spot all the single girls way too easily? How? Put it to the test this year. Single guys: they're the loudest, abnoxious bunch. Saying the loudest salaams to one another, the loudest InshAllah's, and extending to each other strongest "shugs" = handshake and hug mixed into one. Single girls: the larger the group of girls giggling, whispering, walking around or hanging around aimlessly, the more sinlge they are.
7. Why don't people take notes at these conferences? If we're going to go for the sake of knowledge, let us write down what we learn so that we may solidify it all later by reading our notes, and examining them more closeley at a later date. Oh, sorry my bad, I'm the sorry sap who can't remember squat and am the ONLY one who needs to take notes.
8. Why are the books at the bazaar so ridiculously overpriced? $20-$30 fine. It's nicely printed, bound very well. But seriously...how the heck are people going to be able to benefit from the knowledge if it's not available to them? As long as the free to $1 toilet paper material copies of "the other people" is available, more and more people will be inclined to that ideology and philosophy than "yours".
Ok...that's it. Too many questions. MashAllah I think that the RIS is a good event. I enjoy it. But please help me see the light with respect to the above mentioned questions. I purposely posed them in a sarcastic manner, simply to echo what I've heard from several people. And yes "everyone's a critic" at these things. We must realize that a lot of effort is put into it, and a lot of good comes of it, and I am of that opinion. But nonetheless, I think these are fair questions, or criticisms. Any suggestions?

3 Comments:
First of all, I'd like to remind both myself and everyone else, that A LOT of effort goes out into organizing these events. And it costs a heck of a lot of money! I personally havn't volunteered at RIS before nor will be at the one coming up, however I do know that there is a lot of hard work and money involved into organizing these kind of events Allahu Alam.
#1 - Wallahu Alam what the intention is. What we should be asking is, what is the outcome? And what are the benefits? In my opinion, it's a good social event. There was a point where I found these conferences to be very spiritually uplifting, but now its more of a social event for me than anything. Plus the good deals at the bazaar don't hurt.
#2 - Agreed and personally I think modesty should encompass all aspects of life including seeking Islamic knowledge. Therefore teh 4 star-hotel thing doesnt sit with me to well. Wallahu Alam.
#3 - speaker fees. I personally believe the costs are legit. Why shouldnt they be paid that much? Most of these speakers are local imams or teachers at Islamic Insitutes and the like. Giving lectures at these evensts are their *jobs*! They've got families to support too. So why not! If anything, these kind of 'jobs' should be highly paid in my opinion.
#5 - Volunteering doesnt make it legit to socialize with the oppostite gender, but they do have to communicate don't they? Though I guess they do more than just communicating, wallahu alam. But then again, that's none of my business. Maybe volunteers should go through some sort of 'etiquettes of volunteering' training.
#6 - Sadly I've seen many married men and women act the same way.
#7 - I see tons of people taking notes. Most don't though, they should, but don't. Allah SWT knows best.
#8 - You kidding? I always get amazing deals on books etc.
I personally think constructive criticism is ok. However, our community in general has a problem of asking too many questions and criticising all the time. Instead of complaining, people should ask themselves how they can be a part of the solution!!
Sslaams Hash
Even though I am in the middle of exams. I would like to give my two cents briefly on these questions.
1 I volunteered 2 years for this event informally meaning when I got there they gave me something to do. I know most of the organizers. The intention is to disseminate Islamic knowledge and I was told that it is NOT to the masses thus the price being at $40. I know many students who just said "forget it" can't afford it. They do have discounts at least in the past for volunteers and those coming in large groups but for families its difficult. Understand that there is a discouragement feature that is necessary here.
2) I agree with the first part but the second part I have a problem with. Every Halaqa and Deen intensive I have attented has shown that the Shaykh stands and us students sit on the ground. I would not attend if were any other way when learning traditional knowledge. For general knowledge like at RIS its ok.
3) Some costs for these speakers is justified I must admit like their travel and hotel expenses and maybe food. I have heard some RIS organizers say that a couple of speakers demand things that were beyond their capacity to provide. Alhamdulillah most I agree with the person who posted that this may be their livelihood so in most cases it may be justified.
4) I can have one made for me any you that will upstage the volunteers (LOL)
5)They do need to communicate as long as its in a halal form and they are not behind closed doors one-on-one together Islam does not forbid it. Omar (Radiyallahu Anhum) used to speak with Ayesha the daughter of Abu Bakr and the wife of the Prophet Sallahu 'alayhi wasallam openly in the marketplace though not for long periods of time of course which can and should be applied at RIS.
6)Bro thats so true, us single guys MAY even pretend we know Arabic and talk about stuff we have no knowledge of in the lobby to impress aunties also if she is Indian or Paki we speak Urdu and mention that "mera bhai doctor hey" and "I am focused on my career and my deen, straight up guy" and also we single guys and girls answer our cell phones that are turned off mind you and say "Keyfa" if Arabs are around and "Kwais ,Tamam, Wain Anta Akhi" or if a lot of thugs are around we say "sup bro, aight I will meet you in theatre 5 it should be off the hook, Shaykh Hamza is sick". If that does not work we pull out our Kufis and Tasbeehs and walk around with them and a limp. (LOL) Look for these.
7) I take notes sometimes but most times I feel sleepy because the good lectures seem to be at the end of the day.
8)I agree that traditional knowlesge can be disseminated in the form of leaflets and flyers but you can find good deals at the bazasr. Just talk to the right people. Let me know what books you like and I will try and hook you up with a discount.
Ok I am signing off to go study. Hash this what I love about you man. You are not afraid to express yourself like me. These are legit questions. It does not mean you are "against" the community but are valid concerns. It is better to have RIS than not have it though because people do learn things and this is our purpose in life. I will see you next Saturday in Sauga i think.
Thank you for those insightful comments.
It's hard to come up with an answer to my questions which will leave everyone happy.
With respect to intention, it is not our position to judge the intnetions of others. The Prophet s.a himself said that he was not sent to split open the hearts of men and to judge their intentions. Having said that, every successfully run event begins with a set of objectives. If what Kamran has stated is true, and that the event is leaving out a certain sector of the population on purpose, then that is quite disappointing. But Allah knows best as to the underlying intention behind this and so be it. I agree the outcome is an overall positive, so may future events reap more benefits than not.
The modesty issues are something which will continue to be a perennial debate. I personally think that why shouldn't the youth interact with one another in a somewhat structured and controlled environment. There should be limits, yes. But, if a person is looking to get married, what better stock shall he or she find his/her potential mate, than a group of individuals who care for the deen and the local ummah?
$9000 for a speaking engagement? I agree that speakers should be given a generous stipend, but I'm sorry, $9000, plus first class, etc, etc, is luxurious. The main issue is that the speaker DEMANDS this. Our Prophet s.a. never DEMANDED riches, nor did our teachers who followed him s.a. Being a teacher in and of itself is a reward, and the monetary gain should be secondary. I think paying for their trip, through comfortable means, along with their family, with a moderate stipend would fall more in accordance to the Islamic way, than the exorbitant demands which have been stated.
I enjoy reading a nicely bound book. And so if it costs a little more money to make it, then so be it. I'll have to pay the price. Our deen is beautiful and so let the books which hold so much information and knowledge for us to learn be beautiful as well. It would be nice though if it were available somehow in a not so expensive form as well for those who cannot or choose not to spend so much for mere aesthetics.
I asked Sh. Zahir Bacchus some of these questions last year. He stated quite simply: "One will see what they want to see." If one's heart is optimistic one will see the good. If one is pessimistic one will see the bad.
I think I'm in between.
Hash
Post a Comment
<< Home