Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Elections...

With the elections looming in the very near future, I realized that I haven't really done my homework at all. I mean I know the basic platforms of the different parties, but I don't know enough to make a thoroughly informed decision. The polls show that a minority Conservative government may come to power. People shudder at the thought of Mr. Harper as being our global representative, but quite honestly, Mr. Martin doesn't hold much of my confidence either. Will we be better off with the Liberals or the Conservatives? Are they really all that different, or are they just different shades of the same thing? And while the NDP have some very flowery, social reform propositions, can anyone actually believe that they can make them come to fruition? Do THEY even believe this?

Bottom line, I have to do my homework. But if anyone has done more research into this, or has any helpful points which will help shape my decision come January 23, 3006, I'd be most appreciative to hear your thoughts. Who's it gonna be people?!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bottom line, which of the two evils are you going to pick? You have to research as to which one is the lesser evil. THough my vote would totally go to NDP, cuz I think they should be given a chance, however voting for them would be a waste of a vote, atleast for this election. A vote for NDP would mean helping the Conservatives win, which I clearly do not want to do since I believe the Liberals are the 'less evil' party. My major concerns at this point is Foreign policy, various security measures' acts and the implications they will have on Muslims. Clearly I dont see any of these improving under the Conservatives. Therefore.....

....vote Liberal!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

Hey Hash,
I'm gonna vote for the Liberals. My friend (A.K.A.) said that if I'm confused, I should vote for the party that uses my favorite color, and you know all too well how much I love the color RED!! Wait up, does this mean you're gonna vote Conservative?
-Your Wife

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Hana, now THAT would definitely be the smart thing to do.

If only everyone was as bright as you....

1:42 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

Obviously humour has been lost on some of our less intellectually privileged readers.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my last 3 years of study in Public Administration I have been keeping up with the politics and policies of certain individuals. I would say that you vote for the candidate in your riding that is the best and whatever happens in the election happens. In East Hamilton/Stoney Creek for example Toni Valeri, the Leader of the House of Commons in Ottawa is the MP seeking re-election and he is a Liberal and is popular among Muslims in Hamilton. The Conservative is Frank Rukavina , a Croatian who I have never heard therefore would never vote for and the NDP guy who I believe is the best candidate in Wayne Marston and who I am going to vote for because unlike Valeri his campaign reflects ideals of East Hamilton and/Stoney Creek rather than the party itself at least on the face of it.
Having said this I am expecting a minority Liberal government with NDP as official opposition on January 23rd. If we give NDP more seats, more work gets done. Look it up, its a fact.

Hash in your particular riding The Conservative candidate is Joe Di Paola. From my understanding the man is good because he has been involved with your community for years and he is young. He has and will continue to do good things for Richmond Hill. However, because he is a Conservative, I personally would not vote for him as an MP because I don't trust Stephen Harper.

The Liberal Candidate is Bryon Wilfert. He has proven himslef in a federal position before and is known for bringing up Municipal issues into federal politics. He is older than Di Paola and has more experience municipally and federally but again he is tied in with the Liberals. Overall he is the better candidate for you to choose if you wish. By the way check out the calculator on liberal.ca. It is impressive and is a knock on the Conservatives.

The NDP Candidate is Wess Dowsett. He is not from Richmond Hill. This guy has no government experience and is all pro-labour. He is part of many unions and organizations. You can vote for him but he is dull just like his party and their Leader Jack Layton. These guys are boring. He is not going to win so I would look at it as a waste of a vote in your particular riding.

In Conclusion Hashmat Uddin Khan:

You basically have 2 choices. Go with the younger fresher Joe P who has potential (Conservative)

OR

The old grandpa in Bryon Wilfert who has experience in the federal government and in Richmond Hill.

In your situation I would vote for Wilfert and thus give a vote for Martin because Stephen Harper will make a poor leader and I could care less what the polls say now, he is not going to win.

I am sorry for the long post but like I said I have followed many campaigns including Richmond Hill and this is what I would do. I hope this helps!!!

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully this website will help you make a decision.

http://www.thinkeducation.ca/reportcard.asp

Im voting for the Bloc!

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad thats not on an option on my election card...

4:50 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

Who's HT? Hana Tariq? I didn't know I was running.

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home