Monday, December 26, 2005

THE FINAL WORDS ON RIS

Alhumdulillah RIS 4 (2005) has come and gone. I must admit it was very well organized. There will always be some bumps along the way, but all things said, I think it was a positive event. The criticisms discussed before are still in effect, but they are minor compared to the outcome.

Highlights of the event in my opinion were Riyadh ul-Haq, Zaid Shakir, Sulaiman Mulla, Sh. Abdullah bin bayyah, and the concert. Hamza Yusuf was interesting as well, but I have seen him better than he was at this event.

The concert was a success. It was nice seeing all the kids, youth and many adults getting into the event. For all the naysayers of music, I would still much rather have people humming nasheeds than the latest pop/hip hop star.

I was able to pick up some books and CDs. Has anyone heard the Seerah released by Awakening Records, the two sets of The Prophet (s.a) in the Meccan and Medinan periods?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah,

the sets are awesome, I think theyre the ones by Anwar Awlaki? I just got them too, but im a huge fan of the "Hereafter" and "Lives of the Prophets" set by shaykh Awlaki...its seriously really well done and gets you thinking about applying those issues to our lives here today...

btw, im another hidden Hana and Hash blog reader..hint: JazakAllah Khayr for saving me from that RIS rishta Hana, lol ;)

Hope you guys both enjoy and benefit from the cd set...studying seerah is Ibadat too :)

Wassalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah

11:54 PM  
Blogger Hash & Hana said...

JazakhAllah khair for your input on the CD's. They are the Anwar Awlaki sets.

Seerah is very important for us to learn. We all know of the hadith in which the Prophet s.a. states that we must love him even more than we love ourselves. How can we love someone if we don't know them? We have various seerah available to us, and now even more in the English language. The set by Imam Hamza is very well done. It is a commentary of Martin Lings' book which is an English rendition of Ibn Ishaq's which in turn is one of the earliest seerah's written.

Once you read the seerah, or hear it, you certainly gain a greater appreciation for our Prophet s.a as well as deeper insight to different aspects of Islam, and the earliest muslim communities.

-Hash

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waeyak brother,

Ibn Ishaq's seerah is really one to read...If i'm not mistaken it actually predates the hadith compilations by Bukhari etc.

If you like Awlaki's lecturing style I very very highly recommed the Hereafter and Lives of the Prophets sets.

Make sure you quiz Hana on them :)

Wassalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah ,

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home