Movie Review: Umrao Jaan (2006)
Hash didn't put up too much resistance when I suggested we watch an Indian movie, Umrao Jaan. It's not your typical Indian movie with 40-year-old actors playing 20-somethings... I can't stand those movies. I like Indian period pieces - movies like Lagaan, etc.
Anyway, we just started watching it (you know how we watch 3 hour movies over 3 days.) Thus far, the set and costumes are stunning... as are the dance sequences. The plot is depressing.
For our non-Indian readers, Umrao Jaan is basically India's version of "Memoirs of a Geisha." The movie is based on a 19th century novel, about a famed courtesan. The subtitles are not bad, although they don't do justice to the smart poetry in the movie.

2 Comments:
It such a trend now in Bollywood to do remakes and sequels, and they really haven't got it down. The original Umrao Jaan was the best. I know Aishwarya Rai is gorgeous and I'm sure the sets and clothers in this version were beautiful, but I don't think they did justice to the original. The last good remake was probably Devdas (though as much as I love Shahrukh Khan, he's never going to be Dilip Kumar). I hate to see what they're going to do to with the remake "Sholay".
(Uh oh...my secrets out - I'm a big ref at heart!! lol)
I didn't know they were remaking Sholay. I haven't seen the original, so I probably won't have anything to compare the new one against. All I know is the song, "Mehbooba Oye Mehbooba... OOOhhhhhhh..." Hahaha.
Post a Comment
<< Home