Parking laws
Hash got a ticket the other night, for parking in front of our house between 3 am and 6 pm. He meant well... because he was the last to leave the house in the morning, he didn't want to block the garage.
I thought to myself, can this ticket be contested? See, for a law to be constitutional, it cannot be arbitrary. Every law has to have a reason for it. Smoking is not permitted inside buildings, because smoking is a health and fire hazard. Parking in front of a hydrant is not permitted, in case a fire truck needs to access the hydrant.
Why can't I park in front of my house between 3-6 am? Is it because other drivers won't be able to see the car after dark? But darkness falls after 6:00 pm, and it's dark until 7:00 am. Is it because of snow removal? But it doesn't snow 365 days a year. What's the reason for this by-law?
According to my understanding of constitutional law, this law is arbitrary and should be struck down. I'm going to write a long letter to my local Richmond Hill legislature, to ask them the reasoning behind this by-law. I looked up the history of this by-law on the city's website, and they didn't offer any explanation for it.
I'll keep everyone posted about my progress with the City!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home