Assignment "Hash Bash"
Yesterday, I threw Hash a surprise birthday party. It was an excuse for all of our friends to get together and have a good time. Allhumdulillah, the weeks of planning paid off... everything went smoothly... and best of all, Hash was surprised... err, or should I say SHOCKED!
I planned with Hash's friends A&N to get him away from the house. They called him over to hang out for a few hours. In that hour, I set up the dishes, decorated the house, set up appetizers, starting heating dinner, etc. Hash thought I had an assignment to work on.. little did he know it was "Assignment Hash Bash." Meanwhile, all his friends assembled at our house.
When Hash left A&N's house, I called him and told him to pick up some stuff from the grocery store (to delay him so that his friends A&N could get to our house before him). Here's how the conversation went.
Hana: Haaaaashhhh... I really need yeast.
Hash: What - aren't you working on an assignment?!
Hana: Yeah, my friend M and I got tired so we're making pastries, we need yeast. Now, make sure it's slow rising yeast [note: there's no such thing as slow-rising yeast... I sent him on a wild goose chase.)
Hash: Ummm okay, which isle?
Hana: I'm not sure - ask a clerk.
[Hash obviously couldn't find it, so he picks instant yeast up and is ready to check out. I needed more time so...]
Hana: Oh Hash, I need kiwi too. To decorate my pastries. [Kiwi is hard to find in a grocery store, it's usually hidden.]
Hash: Hana! I already paid.
Hana: Please, sweetie... they're not going to look nice without kiwi. I forgot to tell you, I'm making "kiwi pastries."
Hash: I'll eat it anyway. I'm coming home!
Hana: [Damn!]
When Hash gets home, as usual, he enters through the garage entrance. We were gathered in the foyer, and when we all yelled "SURPRISE!" he was shocked. He stood there and stared at everyone, until people starting coming up to him and shaking his hand. It was classic! Allhumdullilah everything went smoothly after that... dinner and dessert was fun and people ended up staying until the wee hours of the morning.
I have never had to lie so much as I did in the past few days. There were so many clues too:
Clue #1: I just had to get my hair cut and styled this Saturday, despite the fact we both had work that morning.
Clue #2: I mysteriously had so many calls to my cell phone... and for each call, I'd say, "Oh, it's my friend M... we're working on the assignment." To the point where Hash started getting annoyed at my friend M!
Clue #3: Before leaving for A&N's house, I nagged Hash to change out of his casual sweatshirt into something more dressy... unfortunately he didn't!
Clue #4: All of a sudden, money started to go missing (hey, I had to pay for the caterers!) I told him I had to buy books for school.
Clue #5: I got more interested in his friends (ie. to figure out who I should invite.)
Clue #6: If I ever let my computer on, I'd dive for the mouse and close my email if Hash was closeby.
Clue #7: I became obsessive about cleaning the house... and putting away delicate items (I knew our friends' kids would reach for those crystal things in a second!)
All in all, I'm glad everything went so smoothly. It was well worth it.. Hash really enjoys his friends' company (as do I) and that was the best way we could celebrate his birthday. A big thank you to our friends who came :)
His real birthday is this Thursday March 9 InshAllah. He's turning 2-8!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home